United Utilities provides water and wastewater services to around seven million people in the North West of England supplying 3.2 million households and over 400,000 business premises. We manage the catchment land around our reservoirs to safeguard the quality of the raw water we collect and store.
We then treat and deliver it to our customer's taps - nearly 2,000 million litres a day
We also collect wastewater from our customers and surface water from roads and highways, treat it at our wastewater treatment works before returning it back safely to the environment.
In order to do this we have:
- 184 reservoirs
- over 42,000 km of water pipes, from Cumbria to Cheshire
- over 72,000 km of sewers
- over 1,400 km of aqueducts
- 100 water treatment works
- 575 wastewater treatment works
- 57,000 hectares of catchment land
Since 1990, we’ve made major improvements right across our business, and by investing more than £4,000 for every household in the North West we have:
- Halved the amount of leakage from our networks, supported by ongoing investment to replace worn-out pipes - Helped improve compliance with bathing water standards across the North West which has risen from just over 30% to more than 90% - Improved our water quality from 99.6% to over 99.9% - the best it's ever been
Company Growth (employees)